Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spicy Black Bean Burger

After eating leftover brisket for 3 straight days, I figured I should take a meal off from meat. Tonight was another dig through the pantry and vegi drawer and see what I can make. Lucky for me I had all the ingredients to make black bean burgers. I've never made them before but have read a bunch of recipes so I just decided to make my own. One of my problems of when I cook like this, I don't really measure out anything. That is why I don't have any measurements for most of the ingredients. Just add as much as you like to your taste.

They came out really good. I wrapped them in Lettuce as opposed to bread (protein style!) because I didn't have buns.  I probably wouldn't have used buns anyways. My dry rub has a kick to it so with that and the cumin they were pretty spicy (which I love). The burger was a bit hard to handle. It didn't completely fall apart in my hands, but a few pieces did. I read that if refrigerate the mixture prior to adding in the bread crumbs, this helps. I hope you enjoy!



Serving Size:  1 Patty

Ingredients
½ Cup Black Beans (drained & rinsed)
¼ Cup Canned or fresh corn
Diced red & green bell peppers
Diced Jalapeno
Diced onion
Smoked Salt
Waterman’s Kitchen Pork Dry rub
Cumin
Bread Crumbs
Leaf Lettuce


Cooking Directions
Combine Black beans, corn, jalapeno and half of the bell pepper and seasoning
Place in a food processor and pulse 5-7 times (make sure its still chunky and not a pile of mush)
Remove from food processor
Fold in remaining bell peppers and bread crumbs




Heat a cast iron skillet on med/high heat
Add high temp oil when pan is hot
Form mixture into a patty and move directly onto the hot pan
Cook on each side for a few minutes
Cover and remove from heat for 5 minutes to heat all the way through





1 comment:

  1. Yum!!! Now you need some zucchini "fries" to go with those! Great post!

    ReplyDelete