Thursday, March 29, 2012

Southwest Shrimp Quinoa

Over the past few month's I've been trying to eat a lot healthier. One of the things I decided to add to my diet is Quinoa. I never had it before so I looked up a bunch of recipes. Man are there a lot out there. A good amount of the recipes used it in salads cold. I was looking for a one pot hot dinner item. After researching for an hour or so, I merged a few different recipes together and added my twist to it and came up with a Southwest Shrimp Quinoa. The Shrimp can always be replaced with tofu or omitted completely to make it vegetarian. I cook this every few weeks. I also make enough so I have left overs for lunch the next day.


Ingredients
½ lbs Shrimp – chopped into 1/3’s (depending on size)
¼ Red Bell pepper – Large Diced
¼ Green Bell Pepper – Large Diced
¼ Onion – Diced
½ jalapeno – diced
High Temp cooking oil
Juice 1 lime
1 Cup Quinoa
1 ½ Cup water
Hand full Cilantro

Cooking Directions
Heat oil in pan
Add vegi’s and Sautee for 5 minutes
Add in shrimp and lime juice and sauté for 5 mins more on until shrimp turns pink
Remove shrimp
Add in water and bring to a boil
Add in quinoa
Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for ~20 minutes
Add shrimp back in
Add in cilantro and Fluff everything together
Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I was looking for a healthy, quick, full flavor dish so I went to my FAVORITE cooking blog site, Waterman's Kitchen, and that's exactly what I found! This Southwest Shrimp Quinoa recipe is fabulous. I love the spice of the jalapeno, while the cilantro (a must) mellows out heat and makes for a nice fresh finish. I added a can of black beans, because why not, YUM, YUM, YUM. I will be making this again! Thanks Trevor!!!

    ReplyDelete